ORACLE 11G R2 INSTALLATION ON WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM (X86-64BIT)
1. Download relevant files from Oracle Site…
2. Pre-requisites for the installation
3. Extract the two zip files you got from the oracle site into Folder1 & Folder2 respectively – Before installing … copy all the folders in Folder2\database\stage\Components to Folder1\database\stage\components
6. Choose the Installation Option – I got to choose the second option ‘Install database software only’ – My setup terminated when choosed the first option – Don’t know why, need to investigate that ( My Assumption is it’s a JVM crash…)
7. Choose the options either for ‘Single instance ‘ or for ‘RAC’ – Ofcourse ours is desktop edition and so … choose ‘Single Instance Database Installation’.
8. Select the Language on which the product will run – ‘English’ our case –
9. Choose the kind of Edition you want to install – In our case we are left with the last option – ‘Personal Edition’
10. Specify Oracle_Base and software location –
11. Now it checks for ‘Prerequisities for the installation’ –
Every time i use to get up to this point … and then the installer terminates after this step ….. leaving an error file(hs_err_pidxxxx.log) in users TEMP directory .
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine: # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000007fefde82b2a, pid=6648, tid=5076 VM state:not at safepoint (normal execution) VM Mutex/Monitor currently owned by a thread: None... ... ...
To my surprise, when tried again for second attempt it worked fine and able to see the next screen – I came to know that this is a known bug , that has been fixed in JDK 6.0 (b92). Since Oracle11g packed with the JDK5 version, so we will encounter with this bug –
So another workaround is – installing the latest JDK6 (b92) and pointing JAVA_ARGS to the latest JRE location –
JAVA_ARGS : -Doracle.installer.jre_loc=C:\new_jdk6_loc\jre6\bin ( i didn’t tried this ..)
13. If everything goes well it starts installing Oracle software ….
14. Finish the setup .
15. Once the setup is finished – create the database using the DBCA tool .. —
So, Oracle11g Release2 on Windows7 installation is almost easy – except that JDK bug – Need to test this on Some Linux flavours as well…….